Friday, May 4, 2007

The Night Before

The boat is at the slip at Port Lucaya Marina on Grand Bahama Island.
I am flying out first thing tomorrow morning and at this time tomorrow I will be aboard the S/Y Keewaydin as we bigin our journey accross the Atlantic. Our first stop will be St. Georges, Bermuda. The weather looks dim, so it will most likely be a power boat trip accross.
I am packed for 3 1/2 months of travel and have (almost) all my affairs in order. At least all the ones I can do anything about!
I am really Very Excited to depart on such a great trip. As the only non-permanent member of the crew, I am very grateful that Patrick and crew have asked me to sail with them.
When Patrick and I were younger, we grew up sailing FJ's and Snipes (and anything else we could heist out of the dry-sail area of the yacht club) together. We have sailed many boats over many miles of water together and at one point in the middle of a storm on Lake Huron, aboard the S/Y "Surfrider" one of us said to the other..."I'd sail anywhere, on anything with you".
Over the years that has proven to be the case, and I am honored to be taking my virgin crossing with such a fine Sailor.
Reagan and Pat were recently married at a wonderful ceremony in a beautiful piece of "God's Country" near Zion National Park in Utah. I was lucky enough to be there and capture a few good shots on film. I will post them from time to time for your entertainment.
This is Pat and Reagan as they welcomed their guests to Utah. Yes, those are Bison in the background. A Far Cry from the middle of the ocean, but I guess thats what you yearn for when you live on the water.
I don't know how long it will be till I have internet access again, but when I do, i will post some more shots and stories our our first leg.
Clay

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Guys, have a safe and great trip across. I look forward to all the updates. Take care,
James Lipp

Tsackett said...

Clay and all, Good to have this site to keep up to date on your travels. Look forward to seeing pics of that mhyc burgee in front of a few watering holes in the Med...

Good Luck. Hope you sail down hill the whole way. Tod & Connie

Anonymous said...

Best of luck. Enjoy the experience. Be safe. See you in the Fall.

Best,

Brendan, Jen and Carter O'Connell

Anonymous said...

Clay,

Very much looking forward to tracking along on the adventure and am excited for you all! We'll be sailing in Dubrovnik July 29 - Aug 5 so if you guys are aorund then, we'll have to link up!

Fair winds and following seas and stay in touch.

Adam~